Re: autoconf-2.69c released [beta]

On 9/30/20 8:41 AM, Zack Weinberg wrote:

>> Most probably either 'git-version-gen' or some use of 'git describe'
>> can achieve this.
>
> I just built autoconf (the program) from a completely clean checkout
> of git trunk, which is currently two commits after the v2.69c tag, and
> it identified itself as "autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.69c.2-04d14".  So
> it appears to me that what you suggest, already happens.
>
> However, then I checked out git commit
> 14265094af1614d9e359550ca4a4939e590a5dba and rebuilt the tree, and it
> continued to identify itself as version 2.69c.2-04d14.  I had to run
> `git clean -xdf` and re-autoreconf before it would start identifying
> itself as 2.69b.67-14265.  So there *is* a bug somewhere in the build
> process, where it fails to notice that the value of @VERSION@ ought to
> change.  Perhaps that's how Paul got 2.69.301-14265.

Less of a bug and more an intentional thing.  When developing autoconf,
you don't want to have to frequently regenerate the world just because
of a version number change.  So the documented procedures for
maintainers is that you have to autoreconf twice: the first time to get
an autoconf that learns a version number for future output, but where
generated files still have a version number inherited from whatever
version of autoconf you bootstrapped with; the second time with the
just-built autoconf so that all version numbers appear the same (both in
generated comments and in what the second-built autoconf will produce).

Ideas on streamlining that are welcome, but as we at least have a
documented procedure (even if it is multi-step), it's not essential to
fix before 2.70.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226