Re: C99 support

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Roger Leigh wrote:

So would something like my proposed AC_PROG_CC_C99 macro be good as a start? It would be optional, and simply check if a compiler previously found with AC_PROG_CC can be put into a C99 mode. This would be good for what I want--a portable way to get a C99 compiler, and would be useful for others as well.

I am in favor of the AC_PROG_CC_C99 macro. My only concern was that open source software might actually depend on it. :-)

The use of C++-style comments in open source C code is suspect. IBM's
AIX C compiler does not support them.

But it's not a C99 compiler, is it? ;-)

No, it is not. It is a perfectly good compiler though, capable of creating powerful programs which do useful things.

Bob