Re: Direct RPM install?

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, Robert G. Brown wrote:

Hi y'all,

A question.  I upgraded by laptop to F12, which went fine, and then
proceeded to "dress" it by adding on a handful of non-repo RPMs as I'm
guessing many people do.  This particular time I added e.g. the
VirtualBox rpms, as I wanted to experiment with alternatives to non-open
VMware.

Sun provides an F12 RPM (not in a repo, of course, grrr) so I grabbed it
and proceeded to try a straight rpm -Uvh install.  Naturally it had a
string of a dozen dependencies in its dependency tree, and I found
myself right back in RPM hell, helped a little bit by yum (I could do
yum provides to find rpms that filled in the missing pieces easily
enough, and then do a yum -y install) but RPM hell nontheless.

Which leads me to my query.  I'm guessing that this isn't an uncommon
situation -- a homebuilt RPM or RPM provided by a third party that won't
just "install" because it isn't in a repo, even when all of its
dependencies ARE in connected repos.  Can yum do that?  e.g. is there a
mode or add-on that lets one:

yum install VirtualBox-whatever.rpm

so that yum creates a dependency list from the rpm itself and then does
its yum-thing and looks in its repos for a list of rpms to resolve the
recursive dependency tree, then installs the whole thing for you?

ymm yes

the above command should work all byitself.

you may find you need to do:

yum --nogpgcheck install VirtualBox-whatever.rpm

but it should work just fine.

it does for me.

-sv

ps: Hi Rob!