Direct RPM install?

Hi y'all,

A question.  I upgraded by laptop to F12, which went fine, and then
proceeded to "dress" it by adding on a handful of non-repo RPMs as I'm
guessing many people do.  This particular time I added e.g. the
VirtualBox rpms, as I wanted to experiment with alternatives to non-open
VMware.

Sun provides an F12 RPM (not in a repo, of course, grrr) so I grabbed it
and proceeded to try a straight rpm -Uvh install.  Naturally it had a
string of a dozen dependencies in its dependency tree, and I found
myself right back in RPM hell, helped a little bit by yum (I could do
yum provides to find rpms that filled in the missing pieces easily
enough, and then do a yum -y install) but RPM hell nontheless.

Which leads me to my query.  I'm guessing that this isn't an uncommon
situation -- a homebuilt RPM or RPM provided by a third party that won't
just "install" because it isn't in a repo, even when all of its
dependencies ARE in connected repos.  Can yum do that?  e.g. is there a
mode or add-on that lets one:

 yum install VirtualBox-whatever.rpm

so that yum creates a dependency list from the rpm itself and then does
its yum-thing and looks in its repos for a list of rpms to resolve the
recursive dependency tree, then installs the whole thing for you?

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@xxxxxxxxxxxx