Re: typeout/line width: 79/80 chars

On 9/16/09, James Antill <james-yum@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>  I assume the above patches makes everything look fine again in emacs?

Was that comment addressed to me (as opposed to the list)?
If so, I have no idea how to regenerate yum, recreate it, etc.

>  Do you know if there is a reason that emacs chops a character off the
> width?

While I have used emacs for more than a quarter-century, I'm
afraid I don't have any knowledge of its detailed rationale.  If it
is displaying a long line (hundreds of characters for instance)
it shows it as a sequence of <79 chars><backslash><a return
(invisible of course)><79 chars><backslash><a return><79
chars><backslash><a return> and so on until it shows the
line of <less than 79 chars> and goes on to the next one.
I suppose it uses the same logic on yum's 80-character lines.

If you don't think making a "wholesale" change is the right way
to do it, how about several "retail" changes (at each place the
trailing space is made?).  It is not clear to me what value there
is in a trailing space -- a space at the end of a line, just before
a return.  I don't see that it has any effect, does any formatting.
It could be argued there is no need for any such spaces at all.

There were clearly changes made (between the yum in F9 and
F10) to increase some things.  The lines of 77 equal signs were
changed to 80 for instance.  Aside from semi-emotional values
(of whatever maintainer made the change) such as "roundness"
("80" is round, "79" isn't), I don't see that the average user would
notice or care whether 79 were typed out or 80.  If so, why not
revert it (to "77" again?) or shorten it (to "79")?

Thank you.