Re: typeout/line width: 79/80 chars

On 9/11/09, Seth Vidal <skvidal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> what version of yum were you using before? what version are you using now?

Thank you for your prompt response.  I'm sorry it has taken me so
long to get back to you, but I had to find time to install two
older versions of Fedora, so that I could see how yum behaves.

My original query was posted as a result of running "yum update"
on Fedora 11, which has yum-3.2.22-4.fc11.noarch as its version.
I can reinstall it if you need me to provide detailed information
about its behavior, although I haven't done that.  But that's the
one which seemed to have so many 80-character lines, so that the
typeout appeared double-spaced in my emacs window.

So first I installed Fedora 10, whose yum was 3.2.20-3.fc10.noarch
(before the "yum update" that is).  I first noticed it had a space
after the "1/1" in

  Installing ... : yum-plugin-fastestmirror ... 1/1

(Please forgive me if these "example lines" (in this report)
aren't the exact format as what I am reporting they are in real
life.  They are from my written notes, not copied and pasted.)

Then I noticed it had no information-typeout as it was going
along, just an increasing size.  (I'm glad that behavior went
back to normal, in the Fedora 11 yum.)  I mean the downloading
typeout, which was in what I think of as a truncated form:

(45/699 increasing-size-numbers [[and nothing else on that line]]

The later ones seem to take longer and longer, presumably because
they are of an increasing size, so I guess yum sorts them first.

I noticed it had a space after the "2/2" in a later

  Erasing ... 2/2

line.  I also noticed the lines of equal signs after the
"Dependencies Resolved" were eighty (80) characters long -- and
similarly after the "Transaction Summary" -- so evidently the
80-character format was starting to appear, in that F10 yum.

When that Fedora 10 yum finally got to "Running Transaction" each

  Updating ... : foo ... 1/1338

line ended in a space, after the "/1338" that is, and the space
was the 80th character on the line (with the invisible <return>
being the 81st character).

That's the behavior which makes those lines "wrap" in my emacs
window, eighty printing characters followed by a "return"
character.

So then I installed a Fedora 9, which had yum-3.2.14-10.fc9.noarch
as its version.  The short summary is that it seems fine to me.

I noticed that the F9 yum had a space after the "ETA" (in the
80th position) while it was downloading primary.sqlite.bz but
that after it downloaded it the finished line was then only 79
characters long, which was fine.

Also, the rows of equal signs were only 77 characters long, which
was again fine.  As was the line saying it was installing
yum-fastestmirror, and the line

(1/1) yum-fastestmirror ... 11 Kb 00:01

was exactly 79 characters long, just right (to my taste),
including its trailing spaces.  When it listed packages to be
updated each line was 77 characters long, again fine.  When it
was actively downloading the space after the "ETA" was number-80,
but the finished (after downloading) lines were only 79
characters long, even with the spaces at the end.  Again fine.

So the yum in Fedora 9 produces typeout which I'm hoping you will
consider reverting the modern yum to.  Even better would be
getting rid of that superfluous space after the "ETA" while it is
downloading, but I can certainly live with that.  It is the final
80-character line length which produces the output which makes it
harder to read for me, including things like 80-characters of
equal signs.  If everything ended up being only 79 characters
(followed by a <return>) that would be great.

At any rate, thank you for reading this, and for maintaining the
program, as well as considering such suggestions as mine.