Re: PATCH: handle more checksum in repomd file

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Miroslav Suchý wrote:

1. you most certain can (and should) use createrepo - or at least its libs.
Nope. It is slow for us. Spacewalk store metadata to db and generating repodata from db is much much faster then reading from rpm files on disk. An library? Maybe modifyrepo.py can be usefull for us. Other probably not (judging from quick look). Not mentioning that repomd code is now in java in Spacewalk.

1. I think you haven't used createrepo in a while.

2. createrepo is now setup so you can make a repository out of any set of Package Objects.

Spacewalk and rhn having its own repodata generating tool has always been incorrect in my opinion. It duplicates effort needlessly and it means spacewalk (and rhn) always lag behind createrepo badly.

I disagree. Spacewalk focus on something different then createrepo.

apparently, spacewalk focuses on making a repository type that is not compatible with yum and other solvers.

2. and why isn't -s sha seen as the 'backwards compatible' checksum type and sha256 as the forward going checksum type?

Probability of collision in SHA1 in attack has been reduced to 2^52. So we would like to move to SHA256 and following Fedora. If we would like to be 'backwards compatible', yeah - we can use sha1 or md5. But we would like to have sha256 to follow Fedora. It is the same as if you ask if Fedora can stay on SHA1 to be 'backwards compatible'.

Then the solution is rhel5 needs to grow support for larger checksums - via python-hashlib.

Which non-yum depsolvers?

Smart and apt, for example.

And this brings me back to my question - do we have documentation of the format of these files? if the structure will be well documented then we should not care about other programs (including Spacewalk). Program either comply with documentation or not.
But only documentation I find is yum code itself.

we don't have a lot of docs outside of the yum, code for these files, no.

-sv