Re: PATCH: handle more checksum in repomd file

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009, Miroslav Suchý wrote:

So back to your questions:
Yes I have systems which cannot read both types of checksums from single repo. And I cannot use "createrepo -s sha", because we do not use createrepo at all (since we can not). And second - we would like to use sha256 if possible since it is now proffered way in Fedora.

1. you most certain can (and should) use createrepo - or at least its libs. Spacewalk and rhn having its own repodata generating tool has always been incorrect in my opinion. It duplicates effort needlessly and it means spacewalk (and rhn) always lag behind createrepo badly.

2. and why isn't -s sha seen as the 'backwards compatible' checksum type and sha256 as the forward going checksum type?

Benefit for yum...? Well it comes down to question - are more checksums allowed in repomd.xml? If yes - then yum just pickup last checksum now instead of preferred, if no - then yum should warn about wrong format. I think the first is correct behavior. BTW - Do you know where is definition of repodata files (repomd.xml, primary.xml...)? I could not find DTD file, nor any other documentation of the format.

So, my problem is there is no explicit provision for the data in repomd.xml to have multiple checksums. Therefore, if we start doing this we run the risk of breaking any of the non-yum depsolvers.

-sv