Re: PATCH: handle more checksum in repomd file

Seth Vidal <skvidal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Mon, 29 Jun 2009, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
>
>> So back to your questions:
>> Yes I have systems which cannot read both types of checksums from
>> single repo.
>> And I cannot use "createrepo -s sha", because we do not use
>> createrepo at all (since we can not). And second - we would like to
>> use sha256 if possible since it is now proffered way in Fedora.
>>

> 1. you most certain can (and should) use createrepo - or at least its
> libs.

 100% agree.
 but...

>> Benefit for yum...? Well it comes down to question - are more
>> checksums allowed in repomd.xml? If yes - then yum just pickup last
>> checksum now instead of preferred, if no - then yum should warn
>> about wrong format. I think the first is correct behavior.
>> BTW - Do you know where is definition of repodata files (repomd.xml,
>> primary.xml...)? I could not find DTD file, nor any other
>> documentation of the format.
>
> So, my problem is there is no explicit provision for the data in
> repomd.xml to have multiple checksums. Therefore, if we start doing
> this we run the risk of breaking any of the non-yum depsolvers.

 I think it's worse than that, for instance does anyone know what
3.0.1 will do? Or 2.4.0?

 Better than that, what's the point in having two checksums in
repomd.xml for a single primary ... when the .xml and/or .sqlite data
for primary will only use a single type (yum-metadata-parser just
picks the "last" (from the xml parser)).
 If you need sha/md5 and sha256 support you need to create a full set
of repodata, IMNSHO. For spacewalk just default to sha or md5, and
a way to change it ... and use that change on the official servers.

--
James Antill -- james@xxxxxxx