Re: Upgrade paths sometimes circumvented

Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure it's a bug, if so point me to bugzilla it, otherwise tell
> me what I'm doing wrong :)
>
> I have different repos with different versions of the same package
> (different ages/stability). Usually yum does the right thing and
> ignores the evr-older packages.
>
> Now if I move a *provided* part from one subpackage to another, yum's
> depsolving may encounter one of the evr-older subpackages and queue it
> for installation w/o checking to see that it has been obsoleted by a
> newer version. If it did it would find the provided entity in the
> other subpackage of the evr-newer (sub)packages.
>
> It doesn't happen always (so it is difficult to reproduce or create a
> test case), and I think an important aspect are the separate repos -
> I've never seen it if the packages are in the same repo.
>
> At least that's how it looks like, does it make sense? Has anyone seen
> something similar? This is on yum 3.2.22, but I've seen it in older
> yums as well.

 This is something that was recently reported against RHEL, due to
old acroread "providing" libstdc++, this commit should fix it:

 http://yum.baseurl.org/gitweb?p=yum.git;a=commitdiff;h=11dc235690a84aba4f1cf32d2d6846a6a3363297

...which should be in 5.4. No BZ though. Feel free to ping me if it
works, or if it doesn't.

--
James Antill -- james@xxxxxxx