Re: metadata compression

I am keeping track of 16 RHEL channels, using createrepo with the standard gzip I am totaling 1.4 GB of metadata. Compressing those same XML documents with LZMA yields a total of 140 MB. That's 10x savings overall, I think that's worth a look.

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 6:44 AM, James Antill <james-yum@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Joshua Bahnsen <archrival@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Is there support for compression types other than gzip for the yum metadata?
> For example, bzip2 or LZMA?
>
> It is possible to trim the metadata from 145 MB down to 9 MB using LZMA over
> gzip. That's huge, especially when it comes to yum mirrors. Bzip2 doesn't
> yield nearly as high of a compression ratio, but it is also improved over
> gzip. The largest culprit with wasted filesize is other.xml, there is a ~30x
> difference in size between LZMA and gzip (66 MB to 2MB).
>
> If there is a way to do this and I am missing it, I apologize.

 Pass --database and it'll create those with bzip2. Adding another
compression method means adding another set of entries, to be
backwards compatible, so is unlikely to be worth it unless it saves a
lot of bytes.

--
James Antill -- james@xxxxxxx