Upgrade paths sometimes circumvented

Hi,

I'm not sure it's a bug, if so point me to bugzilla it, otherwise tell
me what I'm doing wrong :)

I have different repos with different versions of the same package
(different ages/stability). Usually yum does the right thing and
ignores the evr-older packages.

Now if I move a *provided* part from one subpackage to another, yum's
depsolving may encounter one of the evr-older subpackages and queue it
for installation w/o checking to see that it has been obsoleted by a
newer version. If it did it would find the provided entity in the
other subpackage of the evr-newer (sub)packages.

It doesn't happen always (so it is difficult to reproduce or create a
test case), and I think an important aspect are the separate repos -
I've never seen it if the packages are in the same repo.

At least that's how it looks like, does it make sense? Has anyone seen
something similar? This is on yum 3.2.22, but I've seen it in older
yums as well.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net