Re: Readonly Repo - createrepo a folder up.

Gerd Bitzer wrote:
1. the repo A folder where you run createrepo. - all paths that are
mentioned in the repodata are relative to the folder where you run
createrepo, and all rpms that will be accessible must be within
that folder, or subfolders. - the repodata folder will always be
created within the folder.

Note the _relative_ above. The repodata stores the position of files
relative to folder you run createrepo on. I don't think controlling the
-o output dir can help; it just lets you put the same information in a different place - at which point the paths are incorrect.

My repo is under '/etc/yum.repos.d/rhel4' Meanwhile I have created a
symlink from '/etc/yum.repos.d/rhel4/RPMS' pointing to
'/mnt/rhel4/RedHat/repodata/RPMS/', and have created new metadata
with 'createrepo -p -v -o ./rhel4/ ./rhel4/RPMS/' being in
So:
createrepo -p -v ./rhel4/
As mentioned run createrepo one {or more} folder up - where you do have write permissions. Now the relative paths written into the repo data will all include the extra directory, and everything works out.

By the way, did you find that my initial suggestion does not work ?

DaveT.