Re: Readonly Repo - createrepo a folder up.

Hi Dave,

thanks for your reply.

> Gerd Bitzer wrote:
> > My local repo is under /etc/yum.repos.d/rhel4/repodata The DVD is
> > automounted under /mnt/rhel4 and so the rpm's on the DVD are readonly
> > accessible under /mnt/rhel4/RedHat/RPMS.
>
> You need to have two parts:
> 1. the repo
> A folder where you run createrepo.
> - all paths that are mentioned in the repodata are relative to the
> folder where you run createrepo, and all rpms that will be accessible
> must be within that folder, or subfolders.
> - the repodata folder will always be created within the folder.

My repo is under '/etc/yum.repos.d/rhel4'
Meanwhile I have created a symlink from '/etc/yum.repos.d/rhel4/RPMS' pointing to '/mnt/rhel4/RedHat/repodata/RPMS/', and have created new metadata with
'createrepo -p -v -o ./rhel4/ ./rhel4/RPMS/'
being in '/etc/yum.repos.d'
Without the '-o /rhel4/' createrepo complained
'Directory /etc/yum.repos.d/rhel4/RPMS must be writable.' Thats ok, because the symlink points to a directory on the DVD.

This is the metadata:

# ll rhel4/repodata/
total 8088
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 1955688 Feb 13 08:03 filelists.xml.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 5730347 Feb 13 08:03 other.xml.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  561309 Feb 13 08:03 primary.xml.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 root root     951 Feb 13 08:03 repomd.xml
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      23 Feb 13 08:21 RPMS -> /mnt/rhel4/RedHat/RPMS/
# pwd
/etc/yum.repos.d

> 2. the repo definition
> Tells yum where to download a repo's metadata from.
> - you give the path to the folder containing the repodata folder.
> - local disk repos need the file:///mnt/whatever.

My repo definition is in '/etc/yum.repos.d/local.repo':

[rhel4-local]
name=Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 Local Repository
baseurl=file:///etc/yum.repos.d/rhel4/

enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

When doing a 'yum list all' I get a full list of all rpm's in my local repo. But when trying to do 'yum install xpdf' I get

# yum install xpdf
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
Parsing package install arguments
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Downloading header for xpdf to pack into transaction set.
file:///etc/yum.repos.d/rhel4/xpdf-3.00-14.el4.x86_64.rpm: [Errno 5] OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/etc/yum.repos.d/rhel4/xpdf-3.00-14.el4.x86_64.rpm'
Trying other mirror.
Error: failure: xpdf-3.00-14.el4.x86_64.rpm from rhel4-local: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

This error is ok, ok in the sense that indeed a file named '/etc/yum.repos.d/rhel4/xpdf-3.00-14.el4.x86_64.rpm' does not exist.

But what I'm I doing wrong ? Meanwhile I have tried countless variations of this approach, but I always end up either that the repo is listable, but the rpm's are not installable, always with a message indicating that the files to be installed are not in the place where they are expected to be :-(. Or, when running createrepo without the '-o' switch I immidiately get a message that indicates that indicates that the directory where the rpm's are, must be writable.
Whats worrying me is, I'm able to create metadata which seem to be ok in the sense that they are listable as expected, but that there are wrong paths inside the metadata, that the path when I create the metadata is not stored inside the metadata, and I have not been able to fix this wrong path. Is there a chance to fix this wrong path inside the metadata ?

> In my experience, I found that you can mount the DVD one folder deeper.
> Then createrepo on the folder above. All the paths will be deeper in the
> repodata, but this gets around the DVD being unwritable.
> The original DVD metadata wont be used.
>
> Give that a go.

I would be very happy to get it working :-)

> I do it with the dvd.iso file for fedora {mount -o loop ...}

Thats also my intention.

My question still is "what I'm I doing wrong, what do I miss" ?