Re: yum criticism

Jay Soffian wrote:
On Nov 16, 2006, at 8:20 AM, Thomas Hartwig wrote:

1. Yum is really slow in comparison to apt.

Then use apt.

I was afraid you say this.

You might often heard this and the reasons might be quite complex, but for an end user like me it is really annoying how yum is fetching everything again upon restart.

/etc/yum.conf:

metadata_expire=604800

It'll only reload your cache once a week.

Also, 3.0.1 can make use of a cache-loader written in C so it's much faster to load the cache. As far as fetching the RPM metadata in the first place, well, that's between you and the repository.

Yes, the cache handling is quite slow. When do you advice to update to version 3.0.1? What is the release plan for this one?

Beside of that if I want to update the cache in background I should use "yum check-update" as I understand. But this would not help because of metadata_expire setting?! Then I should use "yum -c expirenow.conf check-config". "expirenow.conf" contains a different metadata_expire. Is that right? Or is it possible to pass metadata_expire in the command line?

See yum-utils.

- support of version selection

Explain.

Means selection of a version of a package from the past (downgrade) or a specific repository.

I know these ones have discussed already some times, but what me makes angry are the answers of the developers (very simplified):

- This feature would break the system of the user.
- Why should a user want to use this, since he has not written linux.