yum criticism

Today one thing made me very angry about yum and since this is not the first thing I fall over I want to take the time to say some words about yum which might be unqualified.

1. Yum is really slow in comparison to apt. You might often heard this and the reasons might be quite complex, but for an end user like me it is really annoying how yum is fetching everything again upon restart.

2. Yum leaks major features:
- support of source repositories
- support of version selection

I know these ones have discussed already some times, but what me makes angry are the answers of the developers (very simplified):

- This feature would break the system of the user.
- Why should a user want to use this, since he has not written linux.

These arguments remind me of answers which you would give to a user class of an other OS which is very widespread. I assume all users of yum know what they could do to the system. I know as well the problems of the community process: 95% of all issues are duplicates, unqualified or have reasons in false usages. But I think this a natural problem of open source and its communities, the more users you have, the more false request you will have and if you want to have feedback you have to take time for it. You can't moderate all users by cutting everything and even follow other bad examples. ;-)

I want to cut here because I think this makes clear my major points. I'm sorry if I was to rude and I thank for all volunteers working on yum and have made linux to what it is today. But I had to let it go...

Thomas