[Yum] download specific version

Joelle Tegwen wrote:
> I just recently migrated to Linux and I'm still figuring out some of the
> basics. Please go easy on me.
> I'm running yum 2.6.1 on  Fedora Core 5
> I have gcc 4.1 installed on my machine and one of my software packages
> requires gcc 3.5. How do I get yum to download that specific version?

I'll second what Patrick said ("the Linux part of the problem is also
nasty").

You really don't want to do this unless you *really* know what
you are doing with Unix and compilers.

Keeping multiple parallel copies of something as key as gcc needs
some extremely careful planning and maintenance, and a lot of
underlying knowledge. If you've got it, go ahead. If not, stop.

> Then how do I get that particular software to use that particular
> version of gcc?

A package that *requires* gcc 3.5 is probably going out of date
rapidly by now. Ask the author to upgrade it. Or scrounge an old
PC from somewhere and install FC9 or something on it, and keep
it for compiling.

///Peter