[Yum] Spawning a temporary Yum Server: Header issues

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 20:28 -0400, Jay Soffian wrote:
> On Apr 26, 2006, at 3:00 PM, seth vidal wrote:
>
> > yah - yum 2.2.X and beyond require http byte-range support for
> > http-based repositories.
>
> Silly question. yum appears capable of resolving dependencies using
> just the repo metadata. Why does it still download headers? If I
> understand the flow of things, what is done is:
>
> 1) resolve dependencies using repo metadata
> 2) download headers for rpm's which solve dependencies
> 3) build rpm test transaction using downloaded headers + local headers
> 4) present user with list of RPM's to install
> 5) if user says 'y', download rpms
> 6) install rpms
>
> So I guess the question is, why not perform step (4) immediately
> after step (1), then skip downloading the headers altogether?
>
> Is the rpm test transaction done to verify yum's only dependency solver?
>
> Tell me if I need to put down the crack pipe.

not a crack question:

1. yes the ts.check() in rpmlib is how we get our answers back from rpm
about what is needed to solve
2. it would be possible to write a check to do it w/o the headers
3. we wouldn't get file conflict knowledge in there b/c we don't have a
complete filelist+checksum+datestamps of each file in a package in the
xml metadata

If you are interested in working on or enhancing a ts.check() that only
uses the repodata we have we'd probably end up with success on 80-90% of
the cases.

I'd love to see an example of one and happily encourage folks to work on
one like that. If you want to talk about it more - go to the yum-devel
mailing list.

-sv