[Yum] Spawning a temporary Yum Server: Header issues

This might sound like an oddball issue - but I have an application I
wish to spawn an internal HTTP Server (Via Python SimpleHTTPServer)
after executing createrepo on a local directory of RPMS and then tell
remote hosts to leverage the newly spawned HTTP server as the yum
server- the layout looks like this:

packages/
    ...some rpms
    repodata (from createrepo)

I spawn the HTTP server via:

(Python)
import SimpleHTTPServer
import SocketServer

Handler = SimpleHTTPServer.SimpleHTTPRequestHandler
httpd = SocketServer.TCPServer(("", 9193), Handler)
while not StopServ:
    httpd.handle_request()

And the client is given a custom yum repo file:

[updates-released]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
baseurl=http://10.1.1.108/upgrades/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

Now the problem arises when a yum-update is ran, for example, I have a
Samba update to push:

[root@foo /etc/yum.repos.d]# yum update
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
updates-released          100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Downloading header for samba-common to pack into transaction set.
samba-common-3.0.20-1.8.2 100% |=========================| 6.2 MB    00:00
http://192.168.149.108/upgrades/samba-common-3.0.20-1.8.2.arc.i386.rpm:
[Errno -1] Header is not complete.
Trying other mirror.
Error: failure: samba-common-3.0.20-1.8.2.arc.i386.rpm from
updates-released: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

I can see the HTTP connections hitting the spawn server - now, I
suspected this might have been due to the port, so I switched it to
port 80, that was not it - given there is no proxy between the two,
and the network is flat, I know that http connections are being
correctly handled/made.

I'm using FC4 with the latest revision of createrepo
(createrepo-0.4.4-1.noarch.rpm) - does anyone have any ideas or
pointers?

-jesse