[Yum] Spawning a temporary Yum Server: Header issues

On Apr 26, 2006, at 3:00 PM, seth vidal wrote:

> yah - yum 2.2.X and beyond require http byte-range support for
> http-based repositories.

Silly question. yum appears capable of resolving dependencies using
just the repo metadata. Why does it still download headers? If I
understand the flow of things, what is done is:

1) resolve dependencies using repo metadata
2) download headers for rpm's which solve dependencies
3) build rpm test transaction using downloaded headers + local headers
4) present user with list of RPM's to install
5) if user says 'y', download rpms
6) install rpms

So I guess the question is, why not perform step (4) immediately
after step (1), then skip downloading the headers altogether?

Is the rpm test transaction done to verify yum's only dependency solver?

Tell me if I need to put down the crack pipe.

Thanks,

j.