[Yum] (root)# yum: says No module named yum

>    Hello there!,
> Thanks for the information. I tried to install both rpms available at
> http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/download/2.4/
> but both cry about the same error
> Installing yum-2.4.0-1.src.rpm
> error: unrecognized db option: "db3" ignored.
> error: unrecognized db option: "db3" ignored.
> error: cannot open Providename index using db1 - Invalid argument (22)
> error: unrecognized db option: "db3" ignored.
> error: cannot open Name index using db1 - Invalid argument (22)
> error: unrecognized db option: "db3" ignored.
> error: unrecognized db option: "db3" ignored.
> error: unrecognized db option: "db3" ignored.
> error: cannot open Conflictname index using db1 - Invalid argument (22)
> error: failed build dependencies:
>          python is needed by yum-2.4.0-1
>          gettext is needed by yum-2.4.0-1
>
>    Could you/someone tell me what am I doing wrong. secondly, where could I
> find a latest yum rpm for FC3.

Your updated install of python is what's screwing you up. If you
really must upgrade, consider using the packages from
http://www.python.org/pyvault/ instead of however you installed it. As
I recall, you can use this to update to the latest version of yum.
Also, the rpms on the yum site are built against specific versions of
python. If you've deviated from that (you have) it's not going to
work.

The .src.rpm isn't something you use yum to install. it's a package
containing the yum source code. You have to build it to make it work,
Information on doing this can be found here ->
http://rpm.org/hintskinks/buildtree/  Given what I've seen here. I'd
recommend sticking with the pyvault option at least until you're
comfortable with what you're doing.

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT