[Yum] yum and nosrc

On 12/3/05, seth vidal <skvidal@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > While yum can't install the nosrc dependency, it would be nice if it could
> > identify the required package. For tomcat5, 3 of the 4 nosrc requirements
> > match the package name on the JPackage site. But one (j2sdk) has no
> > matching package name. I'm guessing that j2sdkee is the package required.
> > It would be nice if yum could inspect a list of nosrc packages to find the
> > ones needed to satisfy the requirements. Sort of a "nosrc repo" that
> > contains only metadata and no actual packages.
>
> I work with nosrc packages extremely seldom so I'm not sure what they
> export, really. If you put a bunch of nosrc packages in a repo can you
> even see them? Can we know what they'll end up exporting out once built?
> I don't think we can so  matching them up for resolving a dep would be
> difficult if it is possible at all.
>
> -sv

No.  No. and most likely, no.

A nosrc rpm is just a src.rpm with no actual source. Examples would
involve the works of jpackage.org's java environment. There's less
promise that a nosrc.rpm will build than a full src rpm because the
meat and potatos has been ripped out. The url to the actual source
could have changed, or more likely it has some mass of registrations
or click-through agreements as is the case with sun/ibm java. While it
would be nice to an easy-button to build a nosrc.rpm for us etc,
there's an immense amount of technical difficulty if not near
impossibility in making this actually work. In my mind it is outside
the scope of what yum does.

Just my $0.02

--
Jim Perrin