[Yum] yum problems under FC4

Yo, all.  Bug report.

I was trying out good old "yum provides" trying to find which package
currently contains the mt program (where I couldn't remember whether mt
was likely to be in e.g. /usr/bin/mt, /bin/mt, /sbin/mt, etc.

So I tried

  yum provides mt

which proved to be a really really bad idea.  I mean like baaaaddd.  As
in if I hadn't killed my tty and then killed yum -9 manually, I suspect
that my 512 MB system would have exhausted its 1 GB of swap and crashed,
although I didn't wait to find out.  Fortunately I was on my laptop, and
I was clued into the problem when the fan kicked on and switching
windows started lagging.

Several other forays into "yum provides" (with e.g. wildcards) were
almost as disasterous and I had to use kill two more times.

One other facet of yum provides that may "provide" a clue is that it
seems to provide multiple matches of any matching package.  I saw the
same package appearing over and over again, almost recursively, or
perhaps dumping the entire matched contents of each matched package on
each matched line.

If the latter is occurring, it might be better to uniq the results
somehow so each package is processed and output only a single time and
skipped in subsequent passes.

    rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@xxxxxxxxxxxx