[Yum] Catch-22 depsolve issue

I've got an interesting depsolve issue that I need some advice on how to
setup properly in my spec files.  I hope you can follow me on this.

1. I have obsoleted/replaced python with python15, python22, python23,
python24.
2. python >= 2.3 includes Optik (with an Obsoletes/Provides of
python-optik)
3. up2date requires python-optik.

While this works okay, it creates several problems:

1. up2date will require python23, even on fc4, where one may want to
operate without python23.
2. When bootstrapping CentOS 3 with yum 2.3.4, python-optik was nuked by
python23.  However, yum on CentOS 3 requires python22 because
rpm-python operates only under 2.2 right now.  I need an upgrade path
that does not break yum during a "yum update".

To alleviate these problems, I dropped the Obsoletes/Provides from
python23.  Then, I provide an add-on package called python22-optik and
python24-optik.  I put this in both:

Obsoletes:      python-optik <= %{version}
Provides:       python-optik = %{version}-%{release}

Where %{version} = 1.5

However, the result of the next "yum update" on Fedora Core 4 caused the
official python package to be marked as needing install.  This, of
course, broken a bunch of deps that were tied to python24.  I was
hoping the Provides in python24-optik was sufficient to depsolve
against the up2date requirement.  However, it appears that yum as taken
the first Provides in the transaction list to fulfill up2date without
checking whether other packages Obsoleted it yet.

Currently, the work around is to manually "yum install python24-optik"
and then "yum update" operates properly.

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks,
--
-jeff