[Yum] Re: avoid installing 2 copies of everything multilib

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 09:54:26AM +0200, Florian La Roche wrote:
> > I'd really prefer having a behavior closer to what Christopher was trying
> > to do, as the reason for having i386 packages on x86_64 is mostly because
> > of broken software (OpenOffice) or proprietary software (web browser
> > plugins), which aren't good reasons in the first place. So keeping them
> > out except when explicitly requested (i.e. *.i386) is what I'd prefer.
>
> Agreed, but it is not that easy to make the right decisions for this. The
> current solution should get things running for more setups by installing
> all available packages, but getting the dependencies right on how to
> resolve i386 deps and if that should pull in again i386 packages or
> maybe x86_64 packages and the details on this is not very easy.

In some corporate environments stability is prized, so old software
that works will keep getting used until it doesn't. That led us to
choosing yum as our depresolver/installer - unlike apt it doesn't
choke when there are two packages installed with different arch's. In
general, we intend to tightly control our repo's so we would want the
behaviour of installing all possible packages, or at least the ability
to install all arches.

The control of this behaviour sounds like something to put into
yum-utils for now - i.e. by creating a list that is the arch's that
should be installed by default when a package or a wildcard is
specified.

-Peter

--
The 5 year plan:
In five years we'll make up another plan.