[Yum] Re: avoid installing 2 copies of everything multilib

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, seth vidal wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 21:56 -0400, Christopher Allen Wing wrote:
> > The default behavior of yum when doing an install on a biarch system is to
> > install both packages (the main arch and the compatibility arch), e.g.
> > running 'yum install libfoo' will install both:
> >
> >  	libfoo.i386
> >  	libfoo.x86_64
> >

> > This is annoying and contrary to, e.g. the way the Red Hat installer
> > works.
>
> Not for loooooooooong. :)

Care to elaborate??

> > This doesn't affect upgrades; when 2 arches of the same package are
> > installed, both will be upgraded as usual. It also doesn't prevent a i386
> > package from being installed, for instance, if no x86_64 package by that
> > name exists. It also doesn't change dependency resolution, so if the i386
> > package is actually required by something else, it will still be
> > installed.
>
> And it completely runs contrary to:
>
> yum install foo*
>

> b/c now it won't install foo* that _can_ be installed.
>
> it will only install foo* of the multilib arch.
>
> not exactly obvious behavior is it?

No it is not!! At least not to me. Would you please explain what the rules
for determining which arch get installed, are?? If there are i386 and x86_64
packages in the repo, do they both always get installed?? How does one decide
if there should be one arch or both installed?

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx		Spamtrap address mtd123@xxxxxxxxxxxx