[Yum] More on BitTorrent and YUM

> I understand the need for parallel download or peer-to-peer download is
> not yet proven.
>
> What I need to know is:  If I build it, will you use it?
>
> It turns out that peer-to-peer stuff works really well only if you have
> a LOT of users.  So, if I build it, and no one else uses it, then it's
> not even useful to me.
>
> So, an answer of 'yes' or 'no' would be great, so long as it's the right
> answer.  I guess the worse answer would be 'yes', so I go build it, and
> then not having anyone use it.

Here's my take:

if you want to write this bt-ftp item, feel free. Bittorrent support
will not be included in yum anytime soon.

If you write a bt-ftp system then it is useful for more things than just
yum. And yum users could download that package and use it if they
desired.

So go for it, write it - I can't guarantee people will use it - but
people tend to use things that work and are easy to setup.

-sv