[Yum] yum and suse

> I was the person in question.  I'm using Suse Pro 9.2, yum 2.2.1, and
> rpm 4.1.1.  I managed to get the yum rpm to build with only a few
> modifications to the spec file.  I can send it to you if you would like.
>
> There have been some issues:
>  - Many of the x86_64 packages in Suse 9.2 also have i586 counterparts.
> This confuses yum considerably, sometimes to the point of endless
> dependency loops.  You can get around this by specifying your exact
> architecture, i.e. "yum install rrdtool.x86_64"

grumble. On rh/fedora systems you don't run into dependency issues for
the multilib packages. That would get irritating, I agree. on the one
hand I would say this is a packaging error. On the other hand, I can see
how annoying it would be. Have you talked to suse to see if they
acknowledge it as a packaging error?

>  - Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to specify architectures in a
> yumgroups.xml file, which complicates matters when you want to do a
> groupinstall.  Or is there a way, Seth?

currently groups have no concept of anything more than package name.

>  - I also tried a "yum install libstdc++-devel.i586" when
> libstdc++-devel.x86_64 was already installed.  This failed with yum
> telling me that libstdc++-devel was already in place.  So there are a
> few multi-arch issues arising from differences between RH and SuSE.

fun, fun, fun, fun.

-sv