[Yum] yum and suse

Hello,

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 21:33, seth vidal wrote:
> > Is using yum on SuSE actually going to work without day-to-day headaches?
> > Presumably I just need to run yast-arch or whatever on the SuSE updates
> > directory. Will SLES work if I grab the updates out of the YOU directory?
>
> you mean yum-arch
>
> I don't know what YOU is.
>

> > I tried the yast source rpm (after rebuilding it) on SuSE, but it requires
> > /sbin/service which isn't in SuSE. Any ideas, anyone? I assume the spec
> > file needs to know about whatever it is SuSE uses...
>
> yast source rpm? do you mean yum?
>

> I was just talking to someone this morning about this.
> Questions:
>  - what ver of sles?
>  - what ver of yum?
>  - what ver of rpm?

I was the person in question.  I'm using Suse Pro 9.2, yum 2.2.1, and
rpm 4.1.1.  I managed to get the yum rpm to build with only a few
modifications to the spec file.  I can send it to you if you would like.

There have been some issues:
 - Many of the x86_64 packages in Suse 9.2 also have i586 counterparts.
This confuses yum considerably, sometimes to the point of endless
dependency loops.  You can get around this by specifying your exact
architecture, i.e. "yum install rrdtool.x86_64"
 - Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to specify architectures in a
yumgroups.xml file, which complicates matters when you want to do a
groupinstall.  Or is there a way, Seth?
 - I also tried a "yum install libstdc++-devel.i586" when
libstdc++-devel.x86_64 was already installed.  This failed with yum
telling me that libstdc++-devel was already in place.  So there are a
few multi-arch issues arising from differences between RH and SuSE.

I'll comment more once I spend additional time with this system.

--
Will Dinkel
Chief Technology Officer