[Yum] yum and suse

I'm currently using Fedora, and I've been very happy with yum, and the joy
of easily installing packages with dependencies.

However, we're thinking of moving to SuSE (due to longer support periods,
a better kde setup, and having a SLES licence from the University), and
I'm starting to loath yast with the sort of loathing I usually reserve for
a certain US software corp. From a few days of playing with it, it usually
manages to install several inconsistencies, which have to be fixed with
the horrid GUI tool (not fun on dozens of computers, if we go that way).
It then appears to do very nasty things to various customised
configuration files.

Is using yum on SuSE actually going to work without day-to-day headaches?
Presumably I just need to run yast-arch or whatever on the SuSE updates
directory. Will SLES work if I grab the updates out of the YOU directory?

I tried the yast source rpm (after rebuilding it) on SuSE, but it requires
/sbin/service which isn't in SuSE. Any ideas, anyone? I assume the spec
file needs to know about whatever it is SuSE uses...

Thanks

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Sanders <jss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>   http://www-xray.ast.cam.ac.uk/~jss/
X-Ray Group, Institute of Astronomy, University of Cambridge, UK.