[Yum] How come yum doesnt Download, Install and Force?

On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 22:13 -0700, Ryan McDougall wrote:

> Hello,
> 	Yum has an option to install rpms, but AFAICT it operates exactly the
> same as update, ie it overwrites the existing rpms.

I don't understand this statement. If you try to install a package you
already have installed yum will exit and tell you that it is already
installed.
If you try to install a package and you have an older version of it
installed, then yes, yum will update the package.

> I want to upgrade to FC2 test1 via yum but it chokes on all the tools
> that depend on python2.2 when it attempts to install python2.3. Even
> though the new tools will probably depend on python2.3 anyways, I think
> "fair enough, I could have two parallel python installs", and I type
> > yum install python
> to which it naturally complains all the same as
> > yum update python

run yum upgrade

you can't do parallel installs of python 2.2 and python 2.3 - they
provide the same files.

> So next I think "ok, I trust Red Hat, so I'll just force the install
> through", hoping that it will update anything that depends on python2.3.
> Yet no luck since there is no such command.

why would you do this? forcing a package is a bad idea.

> "Im not done yet!" Goes my inner monologue, and I think I will just get
> yum to get the python2.3 files and I will manually force them through.
> Again hopes are dashed as yum doesnt have such a command.

yes and a --force command, especially in this case would screw up your
system.

> Question: why doesnt yum have some feature to help me do any of the
> above, so I dont have to revert to manual labour? If I can manually
> parallel install python, why cant I get yum to do the same?

run yum upgrade.

-sv