[Yum] How come yum doesnt Download, Install and Force?

Hello,
	Yum has an option to install rpms, but AFAICT it operates exactly the
same as update, ie it overwrites the existing rpms.

I want to upgrade to FC2 test1 via yum but it chokes on all the tools
that depend on python2.2 when it attempts to install python2.3. Even
though the new tools will probably depend on python2.3 anyways, I think
"fair enough, I could have two parallel python installs", and I type
> yum install python
to which it naturally complains all the same as
> yum update python

So next I think "ok, I trust Red Hat, so I'll just force the install
through", hoping that it will update anything that depends on python2.3.
Yet no luck since there is no such command.

"Im not done yet!" Goes my inner monologue, and I think I will just get
yum to get the python2.3 files and I will manually force them through.
Again hopes are dashed as yum doesnt have such a command.

Solution: Manually download python2.3 from repo and manually force it to
install right beside python2.2. Im updating to FC2 test1 as we speak
(wish me luck)!

Question: why doesnt yum have some feature to help me do any of the
above, so I dont have to revert to manual labour? If I can manually
parallel install python, why cant I get yum to do the same?

ps. pls cc me in reply.

Cheers,
Ryan