[Yum] Re: yum update problem with biarch (i686/x86_64)

Here's what we do with yum:

We use it to control which RPM format software is loaded on a machine.
Given a list of RPM names, we tell yum to do an install and it figures out
all the dependencies for us. (which is not possible to do without an
interface to rpmlib)

We have a script which parses the Red Hat comps.xml file (and deps.xml).
You tell the script which package groups you want to install (or not
install), and which individual packages you want or don't want. This lets
you choose, for instance, the 'workstation-common' group, but then
deselect the 'admin-tools' group which is implicitly included in the
'workstation-common' group. You can also select/deselect individual
packages by name.

The output of the script is a list of all RPMs chosen according to your
input, with the dependencies pre-resolved (via deps.xml).

We then dynamically generate a yum.conf file which points to various yum
repositories (depending upon the configuration of the particular machine),
and we create a yumgroups.xml file from the flat text file list of RPMs.
Then we run 'yum groupinstall' to do the work.

All of our yum repositories are on file servers, so we don't want yum to
bother copying the RPMs locally before installing. Currently we have a
gross hack where we make a fake cache directory which just has symlinks
back to the real yum repositories on the file server. We run yum -C so it
doesn't try to download anything but instead just follows the symlinks.
(Sorry, I was too lazy to fix yum to not attempt to actually download for
file:// URLs)

We don't use machine-specific Kickstart files to configure the software
load on our machines, instead we just use the yum procedure as described
above. The daily update process works the same way, which is nice because
then machine installs and updates use an identical procedure.

On top of all this is a separate system which integrates with RPM and
manages individual files. Based on the list of packages on the system, it
knows the characteristics of each and every file and can verify them for
correctness (we don't use rpm -V). Modified files can be substituted for
the ones in the RPMs and copied into place. This process also runs nightly
to check that every file on the system is correct.

Thanks,

Chris
wingc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx