[Yum] server vs. repository?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Joseph Tate wrote:

> Not that my opinion matters, but I thought that server was any machine
> that served up repositories.  As you can have different servers with
> different repositories, or multiple repositories on one server, they
> really could be used interchangeably.  A repository is a URL where there
> is a headers folder and various RPMS under sub folders of that URL.  Any
> references to a server should be removed in favor of repository
> however.  As yum no longer needs to go over http/ftp/etc.  Yum now
> supports the file:/// protocol as far as I can remember.

i have no problem with this terminology, but it seems to disagree
with rgb's current draft at
http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/General/yum_HOWTO/yum_HOWTO/yum_HOWTO-3.html

'Before beginning, let us define a couple of terms. When we refer to a
"server" below, we are referring to a single URL, not a piece of hardware.
This is perhaps yumspeak, but it is the way servers are defined and
referred to in e.g. man yum.conf so beware. So a single physical
"webserver" might well offer several yum servers, each identified by a
unique URL path on the server and by a name in /etc/yum.conf on the
clients. We will refer to the physical web/ftp server as a "repository",
not a server. Unless we slip up, by mistake, of course.'

so i think someone has to make this clear, one way or the other.
(although i like the use of "repository" for a single URL, sadly,
it does clash with the idea of yum.conf being able to refer to
multiple "servers", but i think you're stuck with that.)

rday

p.s.  i did warn you that i was pedantic.