[Yum] server vs. repository?

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>  there seems to be a subtle but constant confusion between what is a yum
>"server" and a yum "repository".  from an earlier doc, i thought a
>"repository" was the physical server, and the "server"  was the unique
>URL.  so that a repository could handle multiple servers.
>
>  can someone clarify this?  as "man yum.conf" refers to "server" entries
>in that file, while http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/repos/ refers to
>repositories.  this is just the sort of thing that will drive someone
>a bit nuts if the terminology keeps bouncing back and forth.
>
>rday

Not that my opinion matters, but I thought that server was any machine
that served up repositories.  As you can have different servers with
different repositories, or multiple repositories on one server, they
really could be used interchangeably.  A repository is a URL where there
is a headers folder and various RPMS under sub folders of that URL.  Any
references to a server should be removed in favor of repository
however.  As yum no longer needs to go over http/ftp/etc.  Yum now
supports the file:/// protocol as far as I can remember.