[Yum] looking for a decent YUM HOWTO

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, nathan r. hruby wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, seth vidal wrote:
>

> > I need to work on better beginner docs I guess.
>
> Docs for experinced admins is on my list of things to do ...

just being my typical pedantic self, but do we agree that by "experienced"
admin, you mean someone who is already a decent linux admin, but may still
have *zero* experience with yum?

as i read it, in order to start working with yum, it's already a good idea
to be familiar with:

1) basic RPM operations
2) start/stop services and chkconfig (to start/stop yum)
3) log files and where they live (/var/log/yum*)
4) cron and its operation (/etc/cron.daily/yum.cron)

  all i'm getting at is that one can be a really competent linux admin,
and still need a very basic, noob-level doc to get rolling with yum.  (in
my RH admin course, i cover *really* basic rpm operation early -- examine,
install, remove -- but leave the rest for a later chapter entirely devoted
to software admin, by which time the students will have covered all of
those topics above.  and that chapter would cover advanced rpm stuff, and
basic yumi as wellB.)

  now, once someone is good with *using* yum, that suggests a need for a
second-level yum *admin* doc, for building your own repository, etc.
that advanced could just as well be the second half of the beginner doc,
but it shouldn't be covered in *any* of the earlier stuff, just to keep
things simple.

  anyway, back to the docs.  any guidance is muchly appreciated.

rday