[Yum] yum admin question

> We have a mix of redhat 8/9 systems. While trying to update/patch the
> redhat 8 systems, I got following error and the yum update exited
> without installing any updates:
> Calculating available disk space - this could take a bit
> Errors installing:
> ('file /usr/lib/libwraster.so.2.2.0 conflicts between attempted installs
> of WindowMaker-libs-0.80.2-0.fdr.2.rh80 and
> WindowMaker-0.80.2-0.fdr.5.rh80', (6, '/usr/lib/libwraster.so.2.2.0', 0L))

1. what version of yum are you using on this 8.0 box?
2. what version of rpm on the 8.0 box?

> After several iterations, I finally discovered that removing the fedora
> entries from our /etc/yum.conf file allowed the updates from our local
> and other remote repositories to run to completion.

try running a quick 'yum upgrade' on that system - with the fedora repos
in place - I think you'll find that fixes the problem.

from what I'm seeing it's not reading an osbolete - which seems very
odd, given the circumstances.

> I would expect this sort of conflict to occur fairly often and experienced
> it many times while using redcarpet (one of the reasons we switched). I
> would prefer not to edit multiple client yum.conf files and am not an
> rpm/dependancy guru. My primary concern is to get up-to-date security patches
> installed.
>
> Can anyone tell me if there is a switch/option that allows yum to skip update
> conflicts and run to completion for the rest?

no, there isn't, and the reason is that an update is a single operation,
either the whole requested set works or the whole thing fails.
One thing you can do, is this, do a yum check-update - and evaluate that
for what you consider security updates, then use those to update, but
the WindowMaker/WindowMaker-libs conflict looks like either a packaging
bug or something else, odd going on.

good luck.
-sv