[Yum] yum memory usage

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 11:41, Grigory Bakunov wrote:
> Jeff Sheltren wrote:
>
> >Out of curiosity, what package were you installing, how many
> >dependencies did it need to resolve, and how much memory did each
> >(up2date/yum) use?
> >

>          | install xfce  | remove xfce
> ---------+---------------+-------------
> yum      | 74.2M         | 18.9M
> up2date  | 34.0M         | 12.7M

in the install case it is b/c of the headers being added in 'a' mode to
the ts. That is how yum currently does depresolution. Up2date does it
differently, adrian doesn't add the headers in 'a' state, he just
searches the headers themselves for the needed requires from the
ts.check() response.

With new metadata comes new mechanisms to resolve deps. I think you'll
find that 2.1 - once certain changes firm up among the metadata - will
be much much much lighter on memory than yum is currently, b/c all the
headers won't be added.

You could hack yum 2.0.X to work similarly to how up2date works now, I'm
not sure it would be worth the effort, atm, though.

-sv