[Yum] Survey of Use

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 07:48:38AM -0400, Hedemark, Magnus alleged:
> Garrick Staples [mailto:garrick@xxxxxxx] said:
>
> > Our only solution is to take up Fedora and do two things:  continue
> > updates past 1 year, and build it for all arches.  That leaves one
> > question, when do we start?
>
> Who wants to host the server(s)?  Not all of us are .edu's with free fat
> pipes to sit on. ;)

Me.  I'm currently talking to my boss about having a few build machines.
We already have mirrors.usc.edu to distro the distro.

I need a distro with 18 to 24 months of packaged updates, performance
optimizations for i686/x86_64/itanium/ppc, 1000+ machines, and has
certified compatibility with a few 3rd party software packages.

I don't need support from RH, annual upgrades, unfeasibly licensing.

I figure using fedora is fine for x86.  We just need to build it for the
other arches and maintain the errata rpms.  I've presented this to my
boss as $700,000 to RH, or a few months of my time to do my own builds.

University of Southern California