[Yum] Survey of Use

seth vidal wrote:
 > I thought y'all had gone to current or something for a while? Did you
 > decide to not do that?

Heh!  Allow me to clarify...

take a look near the bottom of this page:

http://www.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/mirror/

Where I state: "You may be interested in using our Yum repositories, or
our RedHat Update Server. The choice is up to you, but this guy prefers
YUM."

I've got yum repos for those who know what's good for them... The
university IT dept uses the current server I run to patch its RHL
machines.  Scares me, to be honest!

 > Y'all are switching to EL? Let us poor folk know how it goes :)

As for RHEL... I could cry - I've been talking with their Canadian sales
rep, and we're getting nowhere... my school is far too broke/cheap.
We've been offered this:

$2500 USD for RH Proxy server (basically an up2date server, bleeccch)
$25/installation of Workstation when in quantities over 100
$150/installation of RHES
$1500/installation of RHAS

Purchasing the proxy is a requirement to get the .edu (.ca up here)
pricing.  I asked about paying a large annual fee for the whole
university to get unlimited WS installs with a fee for ES/AS installs,
but they're standing FIRM.

It's really scary, the head of the CS department is a Microsoft pundit,
and since we essentially have an unlimited use license for MS
products... well he doesn't want to shell out ("Whaddya mean we have to
pay for Linux?  It's free!").

So it's looking like fedora [legacy] or Debian.  Bleh, I could go on for
hours about this. I needed to rant, sorry for the wasted bandwidth.

Seth, are you on the fedora-legacy list?

e.

--
e r i k   w i l l i a m s o n                     erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  system admin . department of computer science . university of calgary