[Yum] Re: upgrade and update

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 08:07:30AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > About "update": What happens if the new package requires other
> > non-installed packages? Will "update" pull them in?
>
> yes. it does that now.
> [...]
> removals will NEVER happen on update/install/upgrade. And this 'foo has
> been held back' behavior is not terribly informative to the user.
>
> In general the 'apt does it this way' argument doesn't go very far w/me.

Not an argument for doing it like apt, but I was just trying to
understand yum's behaviour in apt's terms.

> > Maybe instead have obsoletes unconditionally on and have a switch for
> > fault tolerance in obsoletes? E.g. if any obsoletes loop is created
> > display the problematic packages to the user for manual intervention,
> > remove them for the internal upgrade list and go on with the rest?
>
> if the loops are large enough it is impossible to see them.

Obsolete graphs break down into several continouus and small
subgraphs, with most packages living on one-node graphs.

In order to find the non-trivial graphs one can start with the
packages that do contain "Obsoletes:" (These are 345 out of 1892
packages on a RH9 system with lots of additional repos included,
e.g. about 1/6th of the total packages ensemble). Then traverse down
the Obsoletes tree to the leaf node for each such package testing
whether any new Obsolete: obsoletes the staring package.

Even better: A policy to deal with obsoletes when "upgrading" would be
to ignore all packages that are being obsoleted by others. A two,
three or larger loop would automatically be removed that way resulting
in a consistent package pool to opertae with. So in the above scheme
while traversing the obsoletes tree yum could remove the packages from
its internal ensemble.

Does that make sense?
--
Axel.Thimm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx