[Yum] yum-tool

On 24 May 2003, seth vidal wrote:

> I think some more docs detailing use ideas and/or common uses would be a
> great thing.
>
> My main focus would be to not explain how a user can use yum to let them
> install stuff on their own system but to explain how a sysadmin can use
> yum to help them manage 100 systems consistently.
>
> Maybe suggestion/layouts for using the -c command more aggressively
> would be useful to have in a document such as this.
>
> Some more example docs on the groups* commands in the newer releases.
>
> Most importantly though I think some docs should be prescriptive more
> than descriptive.
>
> It should encourage rpm packaging and usage patterns that are conducive
> to scalable systems administration.
>
> ie: yum can make it easy to install a lot of pkgs on many systems.
> However, it is still a good idea to keep many similar systems identical
> for tracking/replication purposes.
>
> Does that make sense?

Absolutely.  That was what I meant when I said that there is enough
stuff for a number of sections, one of which should probably be "for"
rpm builders.  Not just maintainers of primary important packages -- RH
takes care of a lot of them already, others (Ximian?) seem to be
"hopeless" or at least out of normal human control, but an enterprise
level application of yum involves a lot of building and packaging of
e.g. site license commercial, local, and other packages.

I've also found that writing documentation is a very good way of
clarifying design decisions.  Trying to explain how to use some
cumbersome design pattern is a great way to epiphanaically realize that
there is a less cumberson design pattern that would be easier to explain
and use.

As I said, I'd be happy to tackle this in my copious spare time.  You
know me, always lying around doing nothing... kinda like you;-)

   rgb

> -sv

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@xxxxxxxxxxxx