[Yum] Yum Compatibility

seth vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 00:42, Erik Williamson wrote:
>
>>>Who are these people who need to preserve 6.2?
>>
>>It's the "But this works for me" posse (a.k.a the
>>"My-backspace-key-behaves-differently-now-and-I'll-never-figure-it-out
>>-you-made-my-life-a-living-hell" posse.)
>>
>>I'm with you on this one.  Hey!  I could use the 'end-of-life' bit that
>>RedHat is starting up.  6.2 is/was to expire this month.
>

> Point at the University of Texas at Austin and their SSN nightmare. -
> THAT is why security matters.
>
> I know you're in canada and SSN's don't have any meaning to you - but
> you've got a similar national id number and it'd be similary scary to
> have a bunch of them stolen, I'm sure.
>
> -sv

Oh Posh ... 6.2 is relativly new compared to some of what we have.  Just three
years ago an experiment got rid of a machine that had been running for
somewhere between 20 and 25 years.  I got to see the hard drive on that thing
and it was about as big around as a semi tire.

But realistically, we've got about 150 6.1.2 users still.  But since RedHat is
dropping support for 6.2, we're able to finolly drop support for that.  That
doesn't mean we won't have people running that, just that they are then on
their own, and if they get's hacked into or need support, we just have to say
sorry.

Troy

Troy Dawson  dawson@xxxxxxxx  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/OSS  CSI Group