[Yum] Re: Suggestion for yum's rpm

Dmitry S. Makovey wrote:

> On June 26, 2003 08:27 am, Troy Dawson wrote:
>
>>Since this is being discussed, I'll just throw in what we do here at
>>Fermilab, because maybe it is about time for this to happen with the main
>>distro. We have two seperate rpm's.  One for the 'binaries' and one for the
>>config files.  That way when we do have bug fixes, (not that there are any
>>bugs in yum, only features waiting to be noticed) our users only have to
>>upgrade their yum, and they know that we won't even attempt to mess with
>>their config files.
>>
>>So we have yum and yum-conf, I'll just show you our %files section on both
>>to show you our config file settings.
>

> But this is no different from specifying all config files with (noreplace).
No, it really isn't.
If you'd look at the %files spec again you'd see that there are only 2
noreplace setting on the yum-conf rpm.
> Plus creates more problem with distribution:
> yum.rpm depends on yum-conf.rpm
> and
> yum-conf.rpm depends on yum.rpm
No, neither depends on neither.
If you have yum-conf, well, you just have a bunch of files hanging around.
The yum.cron will fail, but that's not going to break the system.
If you have yum without yum-conf, yum can still work if someone hand does
their yum.conf.  We have people that do that, just have yum installed and they
do their own yum.conf and yum.cron.
Now granted, we make sure that when any Fermi Linux machine get's installed or
upgraded, the sys-admin has to really try to not get both, but it is possible.
> so as for me - it's much easier and more correct to use right setting within
> RPM than building dozens of separate RPM's.
Why would you need dozens of separate RPM's?  This actually makes it easier
because we have only 3 config rpms, one for each Fermi Linux release.  OK,
actually there is 4 because we used to have one generic yum-conf rpm that
tried to geuss what release you had and build the yum.conf accordingly.  But
that's a differnt story.
We actually share the same yum rpm between two of our releases, so whenever
Fermi Linux 7.3.x upgrades yum, the Fermi Linux 7.1.x can use the same rpm
with no changes, and we don't even have to worry about the config stuff.

Anyway, that's what we do here.  It works quite well for us and we haven't had
this "I want you to change this file" "I don't want you to change this file"
debate for a long time.

Troy
Troy Dawson  dawson@xxxxxxxx  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/OSS  CSI Group