[Yum] Re: Suggestion for yum's rpm

Thank you, this helps prove that what I'm saying makes sense :) You shouldn't need to
rebuild the rpm just to get the config files you want. The configfiles should simply
not be overwritten by the rpm if they have been replaced, period. The rpm in
question already behaves well with regards to /etc/yum.conf, but this is also desirable
in the cronjob, then the behaviour would be: If someone doesn't touch the cronjob,
it will be replaced with the new versions that come with updates, however if for
whatever reason you do change it, then the rpm should not change it, but leave it,
and leave a .rpmnew copy for the sysadmin's analysis later (without breaking
anything).

Another possible way to fix this, is to think that the tool (/usr/bin/yum
and required files) are one thing, and the cron/service stuff is another one,
and split it in yum-x.y.z-w.i386.rpm and yum-service-x.y.z-w.i386.rpm, the
contents of this last rpm would be:

/etc/init.d/yum
/etc/cron.daily/yum.cron

And potentially the /etc/yum.cron.conf that was suggested by someone else.

However I still think that the cronjob is a "config file"... so this kludge
simply moves the problem to a different rpm. The difference in that case is
that I would not install the yum-service one, only the yum one :)

Carlos