[Yum] proposed updates to yum docs/man page?

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003, Cliff Kent wrote:

>  >> in addition, it would be useful if the "list installed" variation
> also accepted package names or globs, as does "rpm -qa 'glob'".  yes, i
> know you can pipe it to grep, but still ...  <<
>
> I'd suggest that yum is correct already.
>
> See:
> The Art of Unix Programming
> by Eric Steven Raymond
> http://catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/
>
> More specifically:
> http://catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/ch01s06.html

dude, the best way to get me to ignore pretty much anything is to point
out that eric raymond thinks it's a good idea.

anyway, i wasn't so much arguing that adding globs was *inherently* a good
idea as that it would be consistent with several of the other yum
commands, like "list", "install" and "update".  it just seems easier to
support the same behaviour across all of the variations, rather than
remember that some subcommands accept globs and others don't.

i'm pretty sure that consistency is a pretty desirable design criterion,
no?

>  >> ... Looking at the whole, we can abstract the following ideas:
>  >> ... snip
>  >> 3. Rule of Composition: Design programs to be connected to other
>  >>    programs.

and there's absolutely nothing about what i suggested that would violate
this idea, as far as i can tell.  i'm just going for consistency, that's
all.  this is also related to the observation, as i mentioned earlier,
that

$ yum list

accepts package names or globs, while neither of

$ yum list updates
$ yum list available

accept either.  again, this is non-intuitive, and challenges the user to
remember when package names or globs are acceptable and when they aren't.

rday