[Yum] proposed updates to yum docs/man page?

 >> in addition, it would be useful if the "list installed" variation
also accepted package names or globs, as does "rpm -qa 'glob'".  yes, i
know you can pipe it to grep, but still ...  <<

I'd suggest that yum is correct already.

See:
The Art of Unix Programming
by Eric Steven Raymond
http://catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/

More specifically:
http://catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/ch01s06.html

 >> ... Looking at the whole, we can abstract the following ideas:
 >> ... snip
 >> 3. Rule of Composition: Design programs to be connected to other
 >>    programs.

There is a very nice explanation of why this is desirable on the same page.

If I were writing a GUI front end for yum, I might consider implementing
an optional (hidden in the background) pipe to grep before displaying
the results to the user.

But, yum is a command line system administration utility, grep already
exists and since I know the root password I should know when an how to
use grep. For me, the current behavior is the expected behavior.

best,

Cliff Kent