[Yum] proposed updates to yum docs/man page?

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> and there's absolutely nothing about what i suggested that would violate
> this idea, as far as i can tell.  i'm just going for consistency, that's
> all.  this is also related to the observation, as i mentioned earlier,
> that
>
> $ yum list
>
> accepts package names or globs, while neither of
>
> $ yum list updates
> $ yum list available
>
> accept either.  again, this is non-intuitive, and challenges the user to
> remember when package names or globs are acceptable and when they aren't.

FWIW, I consider "updates", "installed", and "available" to be
pre-packaged textual globs to the list function based on the status of the
package/repo state - helpful because that info isn't askable via a
fileglob.

If anything, I'd rather see the above keywords removed and yum's list
output indicate the state of the package so I can grep it instead of
kludging the existing commands :)

-n
nathan hruby <nhruby@xxxxxxx>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free