[Yum] Never mind... (brain fart extraordinaire)

OK, OK, not enough sleep and deep confusion

I think what confused me is that "directory where headers/ should/does
live" can easily be read without the slash and only means something to
people who've already figured out how yum works.  In the man page it is
even worse, as "a directory where you want to create the headers
directory" implies that you have a choice or that it can be just
"anywhere".

[To indicate my personal level of confusion, I personally read this as
yum-arch needing to be run in the repository directory and that the
"directory" in question was the headers directory name itself instead of
realizing -- until RIGHT AFTER sending in a silly patch, damn it:-) --
that yum HAD to know about the existence of repository/headers and so
the argument yum-arch wanted must have been the repository directory.]

How about just calling this "the repository directory", indicating that
this needs to be the actual repository directory fed to yum in yum.conf,
and pointing out explicitly that yum will create (if necessary) a
headers directory under this toplevel directory and fill it with header
information from all the RPM's in any path within the repository tree?
And even still add the observation that yum-arch doesn't need to be run
as root as long as repository/headers is writeable by whoever runs it?

Terse is great, but can be a bit confusing to somebody that hasn't
already figured out how everything works...

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@xxxxxxxxxxxx