[Yum] Is there a howto, on how to install a system fresh with yum?

> Why not do it the other way around -- just bootstrap the base
> group (or if you have plenty of time to kill, the base group
> with things selectively omitted until it starts breaking all
> the time but with modern bandwidth and disk, why bother) and
> then switch over to yum? That was/is how I planned to do it.
> I noted that Seth even put yum in the base group here, which
> makes it pretty easy to do it.

Well, you still neeed some mechanism to install that base group. Given
the environment my project has to run it: RedHat9 needs glibc 2.3.2, and
the environment its running in (a bootcd) is an older version of glibc.

Currently, this is working:

1. mount the install partition somewhere.

2. use cpio to extract the following rpms into that mount point:
bzip2-libs-1.0.2-8.i386.rpm
elfutils-libelf-0.76-3.i386.rpm
popt-1.8-0.69.i386.rpm
rpm-4.2-1.i386.rpm
glibc-2.3.2-11.9.i386.rpm

This is enough to allow rpm to run

3. initialize the rpm db in the mount point using
chroot $SYSDIR /bin/rpm --initdb

4. install rpms necessary to run yum, including python and the yum rpm.
turns out this is a fairly big list, like about 50 rpms.
They were installed like:
chroot $SYSDIR /bin/rpm -ivh /tmp/stage2rpms/*.rpm

5. configure yum in the mount point

6. copy resolv.conf to $SYSDIR/etc/

7. finally:
chroot $SYSDIR yum -y groupinstall 'Base'

which finishes up the install of the base group. Seems to be working
great. What I don't like is how I had to by hand detiremine which rpms
to install first, to get the yum rpm to install.

I'm still messing around with this, so I'm open to any suggestions at
this point.

Aaron